Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mid-Century Modern Favorites

Coming from a family full of designers gave me an early introduction to the many faceted world of design. Both my Mom and Dad have a natural knack for interior design and appreciate the many different styles and shapes of furniture.

Although I appreciate the traditional, decorative style of the home that my Mom designed for us growing up, it's not my preferred personal style as an adult. My Dad on the other hand is a Mid-Century Modern devotee; a type of design that I have learned to love. Eames, Le Corbusier, and Bertoia are a few Mid-Century designers that I have heard about for as long as I can remember.

After admiring my Dad's Le Corbusier Chaise Lounge for years, I finally got a Mid-Century piece of my own; an Eames molded armchair with dowel legs. I can easily say that it is currently my favorite piece of furniture. I am slowly browsing around for more Mid-Century favorites and look forward to incorporating them into my home one by one. I appreciate the clean lines and memorable shapes of this period of design, and love the recognizable character that they now have.

Photo: Bertoia Side Chair

Photo: Marcel Breuer Wassily® Chair in Belting Leather

Photo: Eames® Molded Plastic Dowel-Leg Armchair (DAW)

Photo: Eames® Lounge and Ottoman

Photo: Le Corbusier LC4 Chaise Lounge

Photo: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe Barcelona® Chair

No comments:

Post a Comment